The Olds Grizzlys have once again forced a fifth and deciding game Vs. the Okotoks Oilers in the 1st Round of the AJHL's Playoffs. The similarities between this year's match up and that of last year are uncanny but the Grizzlys are hoping to stop this case of 'Deja-Vu' in it's tracks tonight.
|Okotoks Oilers||@||Olds Grizzlys|
|PLAYERS OF THE GAME|
|HOME STAR||AWAY STAR|
|Olds Grizzlys at 15:24 - BJ Duffin from Kyle Star|
|Okotoks Oilers at 18:51 (SH) - Robbie Fisher from Tariq Hammond|
|Olds Grizzlys at 12:11 - BJ Duffin from Kyle Star and Austin Kernahan|
|Olds Grizzlys at 12:49 - Ty Mappin from Christopher Gerrie|
|Olds Grizzlys at 17:20 - Christopher Gerrie from Lukas Pollock and Ty Mappin|
|Okotoks Oilers at 18:32 (PP) - Ty Clay from John Edwardh and Rhett Gardner|
|Olds Grizzlys at 4:41 - Ty Mappin (unassisted)|
|Olds Grizzlys at 10:10 (PP) - Dustin Gorgi from Austin Kernahan|
|Olds Grizzlys at 6:00 - Cale Brown for Slashing (2 Min.)|
|Olds Grizzlys at 7:49 - Kyle Moore for Cross-checking (2 Min.)|
|Okotoks Oilers at 16:51 - Connor Hartley for Slashing (2 Min.)|
|Olds Grizzlys at 19:35 - Austin Kernahan for Slashing (2 Min.)|
|Olds Grizzlys at 7:02 - Kyle Star for Roughing (2 Min.)|
|Okotoks Oilers at 7:02 - Matt McNair for Roughing (2 Min.)|
|Olds Grizzlys at 15:07 - Ty Mappin for Roughing (2 Min.)|
|Olds Grizzlys at 18:14 - Austin Kernahan for Roughing (2 Min.)|
|Okotoks Oilers at 8:14 - Josh Smith for Boarding (2 Min.)|
|Okotoks Oilers at 13:23 - Tariq Hammond for Holding (2 Min.)|
|Okotoks Oilers at 13:23 - Ambrose Firkus for Roughing (2 Min.)|
|Olds Grizzlys at 18:23 - Kyle Moore for Misconduct (10 Min.)|
|Olds Grizzlys at 18:23 - Ethan Jemieff for Roughing (2 Min.)|
|Okotoks Oilers at 18:23 - Tanner Ockey for Roughing (2 Min.)|
|Okotoks Oilers at 18:23 - Matt McNair for Roughing (2 Min.)|
|Olds Grizzlys at 19:08 - Chaydan Lauber for High-sticking (2 Min.)|
|OKOTOKS OILERS PLAYER STATS|
|OKOTOKS OILERS GOALIE STATS|
|31||Jared D'Amico (L)||51:10||29||23|
|29||Kyle Dumba (Backup)||9:20||6||6|
|OLDS GRIZZLYS PLAYER STATS|
|OLDS GRIZZLYS GOALIE STATS|
|31||Ethan Jemieff (W)||60:00||39||37|
|1||Jake Tamagi (Backup)||0:00|
My Take on Game #3
- The Olds Grizzlys went into Game #4 looking to keep their season alive, but they did much more than that, they sent a statement. Not just on the scoreboard with a 6-2 win (credit to Jeff Dyck who correctly pointed out that 4 Goals is the largest margin of victory all season) but with their physicality. The Grizzlys were unrelenting when it came to finishing their checks, so much so that Okotoks was shying away from any contact by the start of the 3rd period.
--- Credit to the Brown – Morrell – Wilson Line which stepped up in a really big way in that department.
- Ty Mappin has found his scoring touch … and it couldn’t have come at a better time for the Olds Grizzlys. Fans who watched Mappin in the regular season could easily tell that the kid’s skill rivals anybody in the AJHL but it wasn’t turning into goals/points. Mappin had 8g and 25pts in 46 Regular Season Games while now in the Playoffs he’s tied for the team lead with 5 points … all of which have come in the last 2 games.
- Credit Head Coach Brett Hopfe for focusing a lot of his recruiting efforts on the Red Deer Optimist Chiefs over the last few seasons … Doug Quinn is Head Coach of that program, a program that has won back-to-back National Telus Cup Championships, and clearly teaches kids to Be Big in Big Moments; Duffin, Mappin, Gerrie, Gorgi and Goranson all Graduates of that ‘AAA’ program, all Top 6 in Grizzlys Playoff Scoring.
- The PK did what the PK has done all Playoffs … holding Okotoks to 1 for 6 on their power play. The Grizzlys PK ranks 2nd in the AJHL’s Postseason at 90% - an over 10% improvement over the Regular Season. ---- Grizzlys Power Play went 1 for 5 and are now 3 for 17 in the series or 17.65%, good for 9th.
- Ethan Jemieff once again saw 30+ Shots and once again played exceptional. Jemieff has now faced 151 Shots, most in the AJHL’s Playoff, and has seen his SV% improve to .934 (tied for 1st in the South) in the Postseason – up from .903 in the Regular Season.
--- While Jemieff’s numbers have sky-rocketed, Jared D’Amico’s have plummeted. D’Amico boasted a .911 SV% and 2.47 GAA in the Regular Season while in the Playoffs his Save % has shrunk to .847 and GAA ballooned to 3.39.
- It’s really unbelievable when you look back at last year and compare it to this year: Again, the Oilers are 2nd in the South and the Grizzlys 7th. Much like last year, the Grizzlys won Game #1 in Okotoks and again like last year the Oilers responded with 2 straight wins to take an edge in the series AND again, like last year, the Grizzlys forced a Game 5 with a win in Game 4. The Grizzlys are hoping that’s where the comparisons end however, as last year, (Yes, it was March 12th) the Grizzlys fell 5-1 and were eliminated from the playoffs.