The Olds Grizzlys stole Game #1 in the AJHL's 1st Round Best-of-5 Series Vs. the Okotoks Oilers with a 4-3 win at the Pason Centennial Arena stealing Home Ice Advantage in the process.
Here's what you need to know about Game 1 ...
... but first, here are the Audio Highlights as heard on 96.5 CKfm
|Olds Grizzlys||@||Okotoks Oilers|
|PLAYERS OF THE GAME|
|HOME STAR||AWAY STAR|
|Olds Grizzlys at 0:12 - Kyle Moore from Taylor Bilyk and Dustin Gorgi|
|Olds Grizzlys at 4:04 - Dustin Gorgi from Jack Goranson and Marc Eremenko|
|Okotoks Oilers at 15:10 - Tanner Ockey from Ty Clay|
|Okotoks Oilers at 17:16 (PP) - Ty Clay from Jake Dube and Max Mowat|
|Olds Grizzlys at 1:55 - Landon Kletke from BJ Duffin and Austin Kernahan|
|Olds Grizzlys at 12:06 - BJ Duffin from Nikolas Koberstein and Austin Kernahan|
|Okotoks Oilers at 19:10 - Connor Hartley from Robbie Fisher and Ambrose Firkus|
|Okotoks Oilers at 9:32 - Ambrose Firkus for Kneeing (2 Min.)|
|Olds Grizzlys at 17:08 - Jordan Lajimodiere for Interference (2 Min.)|
|Olds Grizzlys at 17:36 - Chaydan Lauber for High-sticking (2 Min.)|
|Olds Grizzlys at 3:23 - Reid Wilson for Tripping (2 Min.)|
|Olds Grizzlys at 6:22 - Ty Mappin for Unsportsmanlike conduct (2 Min.)|
|Olds Grizzlys at 9:25 - Marc Eremenko for Boarding (2 Min.)|
|Okotoks Oilers at 15:44 - Tanner Ockey for Roughing (2 Min.)|
|Okotoks Oilers at 18:11 - Tanner Ockey for Game Misconduct (10 Min.)|
|Okotoks Oilers at 18:11 - Tanner Ockey for Checking from behind (5 Min.)|
|Olds Grizzlys at 3:46 - Nikolas Koberstein for Elbowing (2 Min.)|
|Olds Grizzlys at 9:27 - BJ Duffin for Holding (2 Min.)|
|Olds Grizzlys at 11:20 - Jack Goranson for High-sticking (2 Min.)|
|OLDS GRIZZLYS PLAYER STATS|
|OLDS GRIZZLYS GOALIE STATS|
|31||Ethan Jemieff (W)||60:00||38||35|
|1||Thomas Della Siega (Backup)||0:00||0||0|
|OKOTOKS OILERS PLAYER STATS|
|OKOTOKS OILERS GOALIE STATS|
|31||Jared D'Amico (L)||58:59||19||15|
|29||Kyle Dumba (Backup)||0:00||0||
My take on Game #1:
- The Okotoks Oilers Power Play was Powerless Vs Olds last night going 1/8 or just 12.5% ... a surprising fact given the Oilers’ domination vs. Olds with Man Advantage during the Regular Season … Grizzlys willingness to sacrifice bodies by blocking shots (Moore was again sensational in that role) and Jemieff’s sensation play had a lot to do with the Black and Gold’s improvement on the P-K.
PK Regular Season Vs Okotoks = 58.6% (Allowing an Avg. of 2PPG against per Game)
PK Game #1 Playoffs Vs Okotoks = 87.5%
… The Grizzlys would be tempting fate by sitting in the ‘Sin Bin’ as much as they did last night tonight in Game 2.
- Grizzlys Power Play wasn’t Great going 0-3 including a 5-Minute Major to work with. It was missing the jump that the Grizzlys showed during 5-on-5 Play.
- Grizzlys Physicality lead to Okotoks Frustration … And here's why I suggest just that:
With Olds up 4-2 Tanner Ockey takes an undisciplined roughing minor with 4:16 left in the 2nd Period. Okotoks manages to kill off the Penalty dropping the Clock down to 2:16 left to play, then with 1:49 seconds remaining in the frame Ockey drills Landon Kletke from behind, resulting in an ejection, a 5-Minute Major, 15 Minutes in Penalties and a 2 Game Suspension. … Ockey wasn’t out of the box for more than 27 Seconds before committing another undisciplined, and in that case dangerous, penalty.
Fine line between Physical Hits and Frustrated Hits … Ockey, and the Oilers, were Frustrated.
… This is a lose/lose for both teams if Keltke misses significant time. Both Klekte, who was in the midst of his best Game as a Grizzly in my opinion, and Ockey scored for Okotoks last night and both players can make an impact when on the ice.
- I mentioned in an interview earlier that if Olds were to have a chance Vs Okotoks in this series that the Grizzlys would need 2 things; A) A Physical yet Disciplined Approach & B) Scoring Dept. (as Dorowicz & Garrie would be heavily shadowed) … The Grizzlys managed 4-Even Strength Goals (a rarity in the regular season) and not one point from the Top Line of Dorowicz – Garrie – Mappin. (that almost never happened in the regular season and if it did it didn’t result in many wins
- Jemieff was sensational in yet another Playoff Game in Okotoks making 35 Saves, some of his best coming in the 3rd period.
- The Grizzlys managed to repeat last year’s success in Game #1 of the 1st Round Vs Okotoks but in terms of experience Deja-Vu, that’s where they’d like it stop …
A Year ago, again in the 2nd Vs 7th and again in Okotoks, the Grizzlys managed to steal game #1 by a One Goal Margin (2-1) despite going 0 for 3 on the Power Play and having to fend off some less than friendly officiating going for 5 for 6 on Penalty Kill. Jemieff was great in Game #1, making 39 Saves – D’Amico was not making 22 Saves.