After a Game #3 loss last night, the Olds Grizzlys find themselves in the same position they were in one year ago. Down by one and heading into a Game #4 'Do or Die' scenario on Home Ice ...
Here's what you need to know about Game #3 and heading into Game #4:
|Okotoks Oilers||@||Olds Grizzlys|
|PLAYERS OF THE GAME|
|HOME STAR||AWAY STAR|
|Okotoks Oilers at 2:06 - John Edwardh from Jordan Swenson and Matt McNair|
|Olds Grizzlys at 2:28 - Jordan Lajimodiere from Ty Mappin and Spencer Dorowicz|
|Okotoks Oilers at 12:31 - Matt McNair from Mitch Collett and Jake Dube|
|Olds Grizzlys at 7:04 (PP) - Jack Goranson from BJ Duffin and Ty Mappin|
|Okotoks Oilers at 7:46 - Rhett Gardner (unassisted)|
|Olds Grizzlys at 9:08 - Ty Mappin for Roughing (2 Min.)|
|Olds Grizzlys at 13:22 - Nikolas Koberstein for High-sticking (2 Min.)|
|Okotoks Oilers at 3:09 - Bennett Huber for Holding (2 Min.)|
|Okotoks Oilers at 6:21 - Max Mowat for Tripping (2 Min.)|
|Olds Grizzlys at 10:22 - Chaydan Lauber for Fighting (5 Min.)|
|Okotoks Oilers at 10:22 - Josh Smith for Fighting (5 Min.)|
|Okotoks Oilers at 12:41 - Rhett Gardner for Hooking (2 Min.)|
|Olds Grizzlys at 13:49 - Spencer Dorowicz for Hooking (2 Min.)|
|Okotoks Oilers at 16:11 - Ty Clay for Unsportsmanlike conduct (2 Min.)|
|OKOTOKS OILERS PLAYER STATS|
|OKOTOKS OILERS GOALIE STATS|
|31||Jared D'Amico (W)||60:00||21||19|
|29||Kyle Dumba (Backup)||0:00||0||0|
|OLDS GRIZZLYS PLAYER STATS|
|OLDS GRIZZLYS GOALIE STATS|
|31||Ethan Jemieff (L)||59:35||34||31|
|1||Jake Tamagi (Backup)||0:00||0||0|
My Take on Game #3:
- Troubles from Game #2 carried over into Game #3 for the Olds Grizzlys when it came to getting shots through to Jared D’Amico and competing for net front presence, especially in the 3rd Period. Credit the Okotoks Oilers who collapsed well in front of D’Amico, blocking shot after shot.
- The Olds Grizzlys Power Play went 1 for 4 are now 2 for 12 in the series – good for 16.67%, which ranks 9th out of 12 teams involved in the 1st Round. Despite the Grizzlys success at 25% with the Man Advantage in Game #3, I’m still left feeling that the Power Play was a big factor in the loss last night. I’m sure you’ve heard the old saying “It’s Not What You Know, It’s Who You Know” well for the Grizzlys Power Play is almost a matter of “It’s Not That You Score, But When You Score”. The Grizzlys PPG came at a critical point in the Hockey Game, a low-bullet from Jack Goranson at the point, in the 2nd Period to tie the game at 2 – BUT – the Grizzlys were given a another glorious opportunity to take their 1st lead of the Game later in that 2nd period when Ty Clay took an ‘Unsportsmanlike Conduct’ penalty after the whistle with just over 3 minutes to play … There’s one of the better forwards for Okotoks in this series sitting in the box, at your mercy with Olds having a chance to go up 3-2 heading into the 3rd period and the Power Play didn’t do much of anything. Moments like that can define not only a game but a series.
- Again another sensational display of Penalty Killing from the Olds Grizzlys in Game #3 … Where the Power Play has struggled, the P-K has kept them in it. The Oilers went ‘0-3’ last night, improving the Grizzlys Penalty Kill to an Alberta Junior Hockey League Post-Season Best 92.86% (Canmore’s 2nd at 90%). It’s not just the P-K though; the Grizzlys have been very disciplined since Game 1, allowing Okotoks only 3 opportunities on the Power Play in both Games 2 and 3.
- D’Amico has looked super-human at times (See: Break-a-way save on Chris Gerrie) but has also looked super-shaky in moments where he’s bobbling the puck on what should be a rudimentary save. It’s hard to get an accurate gauge on the Oilers net minder however as the Grizzlys are averaging 18 Shots a Game through 3. Speaking of Goalies, Jemieff has been All-World for Olds … Nobody in South has seen more shots come their way in the post season than Jemieff (112, next closest is McDonald of Camrose) who’s Playoff Save Percentage of .929 ranks 3rd in the South Division
- Credit Allen Gimblett with Dynamic Photography for sending us some of his work from Game #1 in Okotoks. Some pretty outstanding shots. (see below)
- Finally, get to the game tonight! 7:30 at the Sportsplex. Wear White and Be Loud.